Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What the Heck is This?


I've been plowing through this little studio of mine attempting to clean, organize, and de-stash.  Of course, I'm tackling the clutter between filling some orders and making inventory for this year's shows.  So, when the work is in the pickle, I'm poking through bins and boxes.

I just found this in the "nature box" along with halved spiky peach pits (saving these to set in a necklace... someday), sponges, stones, fur, and the odd bone or two.  As I recall, my father found a few of these floating in the Hudson River.  He brought these home and presented them to his girls some 30 years ago.  I can't believe that I have hung onto this for that long.  Wow.



So, what is it?  I have no bleeping idea.  A seed pod would be my first guess.  But from what tree?  My second guess would be a shrunken alien head.  If you know what this is, please enlighten this puzzled gal.

Happy Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. How interesting! I have no idea what it is but I hope someone can figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, just found out on my FB page..... It a devil pod. Aquatic plant with a horn-like seed pod!

      Delete
  2. oooh, I've seen those but never knew what they were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cool! I've never heard of them before now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, It would be an awesome piece to cover with metal clay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just happened onto your blog. I thought these were only found in China and surrounding areas. Had no idea they also grew in Hudson river. These are different then the ones I ate as a kid which had only 2 points or 'horns'. They are called water caltrop in English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_caltrop and they were one of my favorite snacks along with edamame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I found one of those too I kept it for for a while until weeks later I was like let me search to see if I can find out what it is .

    ReplyDelete