Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bee Thankful


Many thanks to all who sent positive vibes and
encouraging words my way after yesterday's rant.
Today is better.
I sent out some emails,
decided it was OK to say 'no', and readjusted my workload.
Still large, but I can approach it now with some confidence.

Also, I spent a quiet morning working
on a customer's bee ring and a new pendant for my shop.
I took some photos to capture the process.

Photographing while holding a flaming torch is a really, really bad idea.
Seriously, don't try this at home.


Rolling out my bezel to make it round after soldering.
No need to hammer as the pressure of the bench and mandrel
rounds it out perfectly.
To stretch and make the bezel larger,
roll on a steel surface.


The bezel cups, edges getting filed...well, the edges
were getting filed until I had to put down the file to take the picture.


Ready to solder the two smaller cups together.


Again, soldering and photographing not the best multitasking combination.


Finished bezel cups trio

Later this week, I'll have the finished piece!

6 comments:

  1. Love the process shots! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's awesome to see works in progress. I love to see what goes into a piece. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool to see a bit of the process. I have to buy my bezels finished for my photograph pendants.. I'm not sure I could do what you do and I'm very impressed (I WILL own a piece of your work someday!).

    Glad you're feeling better, too. Sometimes "no" or "I'm sorry, I can't possibly ..." is the answer.

    Looking forward to more of your work! AND seeing you tonight at the meeting. I think I might actually remember this time :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun to see the process. I'd love to learn to make my own bezels etc, but the thought of a flame really makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT'S MY RING!!!!!! I am officially a Quench qroupie *squealing!!!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is GREAT!... what did you use to keep the solder from flowing too far up? Did you bend the bezel wire in a bit before you soldered?

    ReplyDelete